The area found around the eyes is filled with soft tissue that functions in protecting and supporting the eyeball within the socket of the skull. The area under the eye can sometimes become enlarged and looks like bags under the eyes and this can be a symptom of some underlying condition and needs to be treated medically. Sometimes, this condition can be due to cosmetics and various procedures are undertaken to treat it and for the improvement of the appearance of the area found around the eye.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upq4ngeQ6k0″]
Puffy eyes involve enlargement and drooping around the eyes especially below the eye. Puffiness can also be referred to swelling of the eyelids and the upper eyelids. Depending on the cause and severity of eye puffiness, there will be darkened eyelids that can be seen under the eye. Sometimes, the dark eyelids happen without puffiness.
- Excessive physical stress
- Excessive crying
- Hormonal changes in the body
- Changes in weather condition
- Hangovers and bad diet
- Lack of sleep
- Sinus problems
- Aging of a person as there are changes in elasticity and firmness of the skin and also inherited facial feature can cause puffy eyes.
- Get plenty of sleep every night at least 6-8 hours of sleep.
- Apply a cold compress over the eyes in order to help minimize swelling if there are no breaks or cuts in the skin. The compress should not be too cold. You can also use slightly cooled cucumbers since it can also help with the condition.
- Lessen the amount of salt in the diet in order to help lessen water accumulation in the body.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated and carbonated beverages in order to prevent dehydration.
- Chill 5-6 pieces of metal spoons in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. Place the rounded part of the spoon against the eye for few minutes until the spoon becomes warm and then replace it with another cold spoon from the refrigerator. The cold spoons helps tighten up the skin found around the eyes and also helps relax the blood vessels.
- Avoid putting makeup on the affected area to help prevent irritating the skin or cause a mild allergic reaction that can result to puffiness.
- Protect the eyes from the sun in order to prevent eyestrain which can result to puffiness. Long time exposure to sun will reduce the elasticity of the skin and also cause premature wrinkling of the skin.
- Minimize the consumption of alcohol and stop smoking cigarettes to prevent puffiness.
- Slightly elevate the head when sleeping in order to help drain fluid accumulation that causes eye puffiness.
- Refrigerate 2 tea bags for at least 30 minutes. Lie down and place the tea bags over the eyelids and keep them in the eyelids for 10-15 minutes several times every day.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of salt in a bowl filled with hot water. Make sure it is not too hot. Mix them well until the salt is dissolved. Soak cotton balls in the warm saline solution and place them over the eyelids for a few minutes and repeat the procedure for 15-20 minutes.