Gums that are swelling and bleeding are caused by the buildup of tartar under the gum line which can result to gingivitis which is a mild form of disease affecting the gums. Healthy gums are firm and pink. If gingivitis is not properly treated, it can develop into periodontitis which is a severe form of gum disease.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxfpa2tTPDU”]
Common symptoms of gingivitis include puffiness of the gums, swelling, redness and irritation of the affected area. The person experiences bad breath, receding gums, loss of teeth, gums that becomes tender and bleeding during brushing or flossing.
Bleeding and swelling gums can be caused by poor oral hygiene which makes the teeth susceptible to the formation of plaque. Plaque is an invisible and sticky film with bacteria that can cause irritation of the gums and teeth. Excessive smoking, age of the person, genetics, diabetes, taking certain medications, crooked teeth, pregnancy, ill-fitting dental restorations, broken fillings of the teeth, dry mouth, compromised immunity and poor diet can also cause the gums to swell and bleed.
- Mix ½ teaspoon salt to a glass filled with warm water. Rinse the mouth using this saline solution at least once every morning and evening until swelling of the gums is minimized. Salt has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help with swelling and inflamed gums. It also prevents infections due to abscesses and growth of bacteria in the mouth.
- Mix ½ teaspoon salt with mustard oil to make a paste and apply to the affected gums and massage in a circular motion for at least 1-2 minutes and then gargle using warm water. Perform this procedure for at least 2-3 times every day.
- Create a paste by mixing a teaspoon of turmeric powder and half teaspoon of salt and mustard oil. Mix well and apply on both gums and teeth and massage it at least twice every day. Turmeric has curcumin which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that helps lessen pain, development of plaque, swelling and inflammation of the gums as well as helps in preventing the growth of bacteria.
- Make a paste using turmeric powder and a few drops of water. Mix well and place it on the toothbrush and brush the teeth using it. Perform this procedure at least twice every day for a few weeks.
- Use baking soda for inflamed and bleeding gums since it helps neutralize acid in the mouth and minimizes the risk of developing tooth decay and gum diseases. Baking soda contains a natural antiseptic that helps in preventing infections. Mix ¼ teaspoon of baking soda and a few drops of warm water. Mix well to make a paste and apply it on the affected gums and leave it on for at least 1-2 minutes then rinse it off using warm water. Use this treatment at least 2 or 3 times every week.
- Maintain regular dental check-ups.
- Brush the teeth at least twice every day and replace the toothbrush every 3-4 months. It is also recommended to use toothpaste that contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
- Regular flossing and scraping of the tongue at least once every day must be performed.