Bee stings can be deadly if the person is allergic to the venom. If any member of the family is allergic to bee stings and gets stung, remove the stinger and seek medical help immediately.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoqMjqbImG0″]
Sting of bees triggers reactions that range from mild pain and discomfort to severe allergic reactions. A person stung by a bee needs to be observed for symptoms of anaphylaxis which is a dangerous bodily reaction to the sting.
- A reddened welt at the sting area
- Sharp burning pain felt at the affected area
- The punctured skin looks like a tiny white spot
- There is slight swelling around the affected area
- Extreme redness of the area and swelling that becomes enlarged in the next 1-2 days.
- Swelling of the throat and tongue
- Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
- Breathing difficulties and a weak and rapid pulse
- Development of hives and itching of the skin
- The skin becomes flushed or pale
- Dizziness, fainting and loss of consciousness
- Remove the stinger as soon as possible by using your fingernails, a pair of tweezers or a credit card. Just be careful not to break the stinger and leaving it buried in the skin.
- Clean the wound using soap and cool water to help eliminate bacteria that can cause an infection.
- Apply an ice pack on the affected area at least 20 minutes. The cold makes the area numb and constricts the flow of blood in the area and lessens the swelling.
- If the arm and legs are affected, elevate the area and remove any tight-fitting jewelry. If the area becomes swollen, these jewelries can be difficult to remove.
- Take the prescribed over-the-counter pain medications such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen to help lessen the pain and inflammation. If there is itchiness, provide the individual with an antihistamine.
- Apply small amount of honey on the wound and cover it using gauze or a small piece of cloth for at least 30 minutes up to an hour. If the person is allergic to this procedure, stop using honey.
- Crush 1-2 pieces of garlic to release the juices and place it against the wound and cover it using a moist rag or a towel and let it remain in the area for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Make a paste by mixing baking soda and a few drops of vinegar and water. Mix well and then apply it on the affected area for at least 30 minutes. Baking soda and vinegar helps in neutralizing the acid found in the stings of bee.
- Using toothpaste also helps neutralize acids in the stings of bee and also minimizes the swelling and pain. Apply toothpaste on the wound for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Gather some mud and mix it with a few drops of water. Mix well until it becomes paste-like in consistency and apply it on the affected area.