Itchy eyes can become worse during the end of the pregnancy. Itchiness of the eyes during the 37th week of pregnancy can become bothersome that they cause interruption of regular daily activities and sleep. Oftentimes, this condition becomes worse if not properly treated and can result to infection.
The hormone levels fluctuate during pregnancy, especially the male androgen hormone. This hormonal change lessens the amount of tears the eyes produces which sometimes results to dry and itchy eyes. Pregnancy also makes allergies worse in which highly sensitive individuals to allergens like animal dander, dust mites and pollen are affected. Eye infections such as conjunctivitis and foreign objects that enters the eye can result to itchy eyes during pregnancy.
- Itching sometimes happens on and off throughout the day or simply lingers.
- The itchiness can also affect the ears, nose and throat
- Burning sensation in the eyes
- Sneezing, runny nose and mucus discharge
- Sensitivity to light
- Producing excess tearing and wearing contact lenses makes the condition worse.
- Install a humidifier throughout the house to help add moisture to the air and relax the itchy eyes.
- Rub gently the eyelids using the forefingers to help push mucus and fluid out of the glands of the eyelids to lessen the symptoms.
- Apply a warm compress on the eyelids to help lessen the discomfort and itchiness.
- A cold compress can also be applied on the affected eyes to lessen the itchiness. Soak a cloth in ice water, wring out the excess water and then apply it on the affected eyes for at least 10 minutes to help lessen the itchiness several times every day.
- Clean the eyelids carefully to remove discharge that became crusted or some foreign objects.
- Apply the prescribed artificial tear drops or over-the-counter ointment to help lessen the discomfort of the itchy eyes.
- Place a chilled, used chamomile tea bag on the affected eye for at least 10 minutes. Repeat the procedure at least 3-4 times every day to achieve the best results
- Apply cold milk around the eyes or rinse the eyes using rosewater to help with the condition. Wash the eyes using a salt and water mixture to help relieve the itchiness.
- Place cold slices of cucumber on the affected eye to help minimize the irritation, swelling, puffiness and inflammation. Leave the cold cucumber slices on the eyes for at least 10 minutes for 3-4 times every day.
Seek medical help immediately if the itchy eyes become severe, when it is already near the due date and if it interferes with eating and sleeping patterns.